When I was wide eyed bushy tailed second grade Christina, I remember running home from school every day so that I could catch the last half of Captain Planet playing on Cartoon Network. I loved seeing those big kids take down evil, money-hungry war mongers (also lived for that kinda-sorta relationship between the wind and fire ringbearers). “Captain Planet, he’s our hero, gonna take pollution down to zero!” I can still belt out that theme song with the best of ‘em.
Back then, the concept of sustainable, conscious consumerism wasn’t a thing, but even 7 year-olds could grasp that pollution and corporate greed were unjust, and that all it took were a few good meaning citizens and their merging of resources to make a difference in the world.
Earth Day reminds us of just that: this planet is magic, we have a lot to care about, and each of us has the ability to do a little more to protect it. Sometimes all that takes is keeping a “sustainable brands” bookmark on your browser so the next time your closet needs a little freshening up, you have tres chic inspiration to draw from. Check ‘em out:
1. Vaute: Like “haute” but with a “v” for “vegan” and pronounced like “vote” cause that’s what we’re doing each time we throw down some bills. Feels good when you can for a company as beautiful inside as it is on the out.
2. Native Shoes: Native Shoes’ production processes are clean and green with 100%recyclable-material packaging. And their clean and minimal design doesn’t hurt for it. Like they say, less is more.
3. ROMBAUT: Basically the Ryan Gosling of kicks, blowing up the scene with its lack of toxicity and animal-derived materials—and uses new material innovations made from stone, tree bark, natural rubber, cotton cellulose, and coconut fiber… Wut.
4. In the Soulshine: These tees are made with vegan ink and in a factory in Bali where salaries are three to five times more than the average for a tailor on the island. And! We just collaborated with them on a limited-edition tee on the PETA Catalog; go get it, cuties.
What an honour is it to have collaborated with the largest animal rights organisation in the world @peta Our new tee has launched today!! Fun button art with messages like “Animals Are Not Clothing,” “There’s No Planet B,” and “Vegan Leather, Baby!” 🎉👏💘🌱🐾🌍 Available now from the PETA Catalog or for Pre Order on our online store ✨ #VeganFashion is the future! ❤️
5. Insecta Shoes: Insecta uses recycled rubber and plastic bottles, vintage clothing, and vegan leather to make these pretty babes.
6. Sydney Brown: These shoes are enough to make a grown woman cry. 100% recycled and sustainable uppers with reclaimed wooden soles. All the retro woodland fairy creature vibes.
7. Rewilder: This brand’s a real innovator. Its bag fabrics are made from salvaged filter cloth from beer manufacturing plants, and the handles are salvaged climbing rope gathered from local gyms.
8. Stella McCartney: Stella is forever the queen of my heart. And her vegan leather is made with recycled plastic bottles. That is all.
9. Groceries Apparel: You can shop for clothes on this brand’s website by “ingredient,” ie. eucalyptus, recycled cotton, recycled plastic, vegetable dye, hemp, and organic cotton. I dig them so hard.
10. SUSI Studio: SUSI’s a fave not just cause its owner is a little hottie, but its designs are classic and sexy and made with recycled rubber. Also, they have Emma Watson’s stamp of approval. Good enough for me!
Emma X Susi || Here’s another photo of our favorite leading lady/activist @emmawatson in the Hey Simone heels in black. We only have a few pairs left! 🔥 . . . . . . . . . . #vegan #vegansofig #veganlifestyle #veganshoes #vsco #vscocam #veganfashion #fashion #plantbased #susistudio #shoes #love #govegan #fashionblog #fashionblogger #veganism #sustainable #sustainability #ecofashion #eco #ecofriendly #sale #susi #emmawatson #beautyandthebeast
11. Hipsters for Sisters: These aren’t your granny’s fanny packs. Handcrafted from either 100 percent organic cotton or Eco-fi, a high-quality fiber created from post-consumer recycled plastic bottles, Hipsters for Sisters frees women and the planet of their baggage.
12. Della: Click if you like owning one of a kind pieces that also support jobs, education, and skills training for the women and men of Ghana + all without harming animals.
13. Brave GentleMan: If you have a little extra change to spare, you need some BG in your life. We’re talking a v strong suit and shoe game… made entirely with recycled soda and water bottles, and cotton/poly blends diverted from waste streams.
Had a blast shooting a video for @peta today at the @brave_gentleman store about #menswear, innovation, identity and the inevitable and necessary #vegan future of #fashion. Loved wearing my #bravegentleman #organiccotton #tuxedo, chatting w/ @bravehearthabitat & letting @beneffinger work his DP magic.
14. Reformation: Old faithful. Ref brings it with its quality design and eco fabrics, made partially from recycled vintage clothing.
15. Nicora Shoes: Bad ass. Everything about this company. I mean, just look at those boots.
Never knew it could be so fun to be green?! Don’t forget to bookmark them. 😉
Happy happy Earth Day, friends. Til next time, xo